Quite the mouthful for the title of this post, but I can assure you that it’s a tasty one! This flatbread is fast and delicious, and while it may not have the lovely yeasty doughiness of the classic pizza dough, it’s certainly useful for those nights when you want pizza and want it quickly. The sweet potato-apple-cheddar-sausage is one of my favorite combinations, and you’ll see why when you make it. Combined with the perfect crunchy crust, it makes for a great dinner fresh out of the oven, and also a wonderful lunch cold the next day. For a while now, I’ve been using homemade garlic herb olive oil instead of a traditional white or red sauce. It makes a perfect base, and goes well with anything I decide to add as toppings. I also always have the ingredients on hand, which means I don’t have to plan ahead!
In other news, I started my tomato and jalapeño seedlings a few weeks ago and am enjoying watching the fast progression of the little sprouts! In past years, I’ve always waited until the farmer’s markets open in June to buy my seedlings, but decided to start from scratch this year and try growing my own. I’ll admit, I think I got a bit too excited about growing my own tomato plants. I now have 24 little tomato plants and not a clue where I’m going to put them all. Fantasies of having homegrown canned tomatoes all winter long are already flitting through my head, though…
Quick Whole-Wheat Flatbread
1 ⅔ cup whole-wheat flour (plus a bit extra for rolling out the dough)
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
⅔ cup water
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Add water and oil and stir until a shaggy dough has formed.
4. Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead until the dough is a smooth ball.
5. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin (or wine bottle if a rolling pin is nowhere to be found – this always works surprisingly well!) until approximately the size of a baking sheet. It most certainly does not have to look perfect – the edges will be rough, but I just fold over the shaggy bits to smooth it out a bit.
6. Now I usually bake the dough for 2-3 min. before I add the toppings so that it’s easier to brush on my garlicky herb olive oil!
Sweet Potato Apple Cheddar Sausage Flatbread
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
choice of herbs (I usually use thyme, rosemary, and sage)
1 small sweet potato, peeled and sliced thinly
1 apple, sliced thinly (no need to peel)
2 large handfuls cheddar
2 sausages (I used garlic and herb pork sausages)
1. Combine olive oil, garlic, herbs, and salt and pepper in a small bowl.
2. Saute sausages in a pan until cooked through.
3. After the flatbread has baked for a few minutes, take it out of the oven and brush on the garlicky herb olive oil.
4. Add the sweet potatoes in a single layer, and the apple on top of that.
5. Distribute the sausage evenly, and then sprinkle on the cheddar.
6. Bake for approx. 15 min. until the sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife.
The lovely green florets of broccoli have not always appealed to me. Even now, broccoli…
Eighty-degree weather has officially hit the Northeast, just in time for the Boston Marathon…